SAP DESIGN GUILD
Designing for Sustainability – Links and References
By Gerd Waloszek, SAP User Experience,
SAP AG – Updated: December 1, 2011
Books | Articles, Papers | Keynotes,
Talks, and More | Links
Below, you will find a collection of books, papers, and links for the topic
of design for sustainability, including SAP-specific links with respect to
sustainability. Some references appear in articles in this highlight topic,
some were used for the articles but were not cited, while others have been
cited by listed references (particularly some original sources that are hard
to get). Please note that we cannot guarantee that the links provided below
will work in the future.
- Janine M. Benyus (2002). Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature.
Harper Perennial • ISBN: 0060533226 • Review
- Nathan Shedroff (2009). Design Is the Problem. Rosenfeld Media • ISBN:
1-933820-00-4 (Paperback + PDF), ISBN: 1-933820-01-2 • Review
Groupware, Collaboration, Social Media, Future Trends
- Ben Shneiderman, Cathérine Plaisant, Maxine Cohen & Steven Jacobs
(2009). Designing the User Interface (5th Edition). Chapter 9: Collaboration
and Social Media Participation. Pearson Addison-Wesley • ISBN-10: 0321537351 • ISBN-13:
978-0321537355 (Hardcover) • Review
- Derek Hansen, Ben Shneiderman & Marc Smith (2010). Analyzing Social
Media Networks with NodeXL. Morgan Kaufmann • ISBN-13: 9780123822291 • Review
- Gary M. Olson, Ann Zimmerman & Nathan Bos (Eds.) (2008). Scientific
Collaboration on the Internet, The MIT Press • ISBN-10: 0262151200,
ISBN-13: 978-0262151207 • Review
- Bruce Sterling (2005). Shaping Things. MIT Press • ISBN:
0262693267 (Paperback), ISBN: 026219533X (Hardcover) • Review
- Carl DiSalvo, Phoebe Sengers, Hrönn
Brynjarsdóttir (2010). Navigating
the Terrain of Sustainable HCI, Interactions, September/October
- Batya Friedman, Lisa Nathan, David Henry (2009). Information System Design
as Catalyst: Human Action and Environmental Sustainability. Interactions,
July/August 2009, p. 6-11.
- Victor Margolin (2009). The Waste Manifesto. Interactions,
July/August 2009, p. 12-15.
- Eric Schweikhardt (2009). User Centered Is Off
Center. Interactions, May/June 2009, p. 12-15.
- Nathan Shedroff (2009). Design: A better Path to Innovation. Interactions,
November/December 2008, p. 35-41.
- James Pierce, Hrönn Brynjarsdóttir, Phoebe Sengers, Yolande Strengers (2011).
Everyday practice and sustainable HCI. Proceedings of the 2011 annual
conference on Human factors in computing systems (extended abstracts).
- Carl DiSalvo, Phoebe Sengers, Hrönn Brynjarsdóttir (2010).
Mapping the Landscape of Sustainable HCI. Proceedings of the 28th international
conference on Human factors in computing systems, p. 1975-1984
- Carl DiSalvo, Kirsten Boehner, Nicholas A Knouf, Phoebe Sengers (2009).
Nourishing the ground for sustainable HCI. Proceedings
of the 27th international conference on Human factors in computing systems,
- Paul Dourish, Department of Informatics, University of California, USA
(2010). HCI and Environmental Sustainability: The Politics of Design and
the Design of Politics . Proceedings of the DIS 2010 Conference,
- Loove Broms, Cecilia Katzeff, Åsa Nyblom, Magnus Bång, Sara
Ilstedt Hjelm, Karin Ehrnberger (2010). Coffee Maker Patterns and the Design
of Energy Feedback Artefacts. Proceedings of the DIS 2010 Conference,
- Li Jönsson, Loove Broms, Cecilia Katzeff (2010). Watt-Lite; Energy
Statistics Made Tangible. Proceedings of the DIS 2010 Conference,
- Tanyoung Kim, Hwajung Hong, Brian Magerko, Georgia Institute of Technology,
USA (2010): Design Requirements for Ambient Display that Supports Sustainable
- James Pierce, Eric Paulos (2010). Materializing Energy. Proceedings
of the DIS 2010 Conference, p. 113-122.
- James Pierce, Chloe Fan, Dereke Llomas, Gabriella Marcu, Eric Paulos (2010).
Some considerations on the (in)effectiveness of residential energy feedback
systems for interaction design and HCI. Proceedings of the DIS 2010 Conference,
Ambient Displays and Media
- Aviaja Borup Lynggaard, M. G. Petersen, R. Gude, M. Mortensen (2010). Home
Awareness – Connecting People Sensuously to Places. Proceedings
of the DIS 2010 Conference, p. 416-418.
- Thomas Visser, Martijn Vastenburg, David Keyson (2010). SnowGlobe: The
Development of a Prototype Awareness System for Longitudinal Field Studies. Proceedings
of the DIS 2010 Conference, p. 416-418.
- Tomaso Scherini, Paulo Melo, Toon Van Craenendonck, Wenzhu Zou, Maurits
Kaptein (2010). Enhancing the Sleeping Quality of Partners Living Apart (Short
Paper). Proceedings of the DIS 2010 Conference, p. 171-174. (Video)
- Tanyoung Kim, Hwajung Hong, Brian Magerko (2010). Design Requirements for
Ambient Display that Supports Sustainable Lifestyle. Proceedings of the
DIS 2010 Conference, p. 103-111.
Keynotes, Talks, and More
Sustainability-related presentations by SAP User Experience team members (and
some external contributors):
- Christine Ronnewinkel & Janaki Kumar, co-chairs of paper session at
DUXU 2011, Orlando, FL, USA: Sustainability: Future Roles, Responsibilities,
and Opportunities for the HCI Profession.
- Future Centered Design: Designing for Sustainable Business (Janaki
Kumar, Peter Graf)
- Managing a Green Giant: Sustainability Performance Management, a User
Experience Perspective (Benjamin Tomsky, Angad Manco)
- What Sustainability Brings to the Research Table (Niyati Bedekar,
Sally Lawler Kennedy)
- The Grid Intelligent Planning Framework: Planning Electric Utility
Investments in a Time of Accelerating Change (Geoff Ryder, Fatimah Shahid,
- User-Experience for Personal Sustainability Software: Determining
Design Philosophy and Principles (Aaron Marcus, Jennifer Dumpert, Laurie
Wigham, Aaron Marcus and Associates, Inc.)
- Dan Rosenberg, keynote at UX 2010, Shanghai, China: Global
Sustainability – where can HCI professionals effectively contribute? • Slides
- Jeff Zhu, presentation at UX 2010, Shanghai, China: Sustainable
UCD • Slides
- Dan Rosenberg, invited talk at UPA 2010, Munich, Germany: Global Sustainability: Fit or Misfit for HCI?
- Dan Rosenberg, keynote at HCI International 2009, San Diego, CA, USA: The
Industrialization of Sustainability: Future roles, responsibilities and
opportunities for the HCI profession
SAP, SAP UX
SAP Design Guild
MIT Media Lab: Tangible Media Group, Ambient Media